Re: [logs] syslog/tcp (selp)

From: Bennett Todd (betat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 10 2003 - 05:28:34 PST

    2003-01-09T20:34:23 Frank O'Dwyer:
    > Why can't the transport simply escape the CRLFs & handle dumping to text the
    > same way?

    It could; we could have 8-bit-clean MSG, and let server
    implementations decide whether they need to quote CRLFs (which
    would of course corrupt these multibyte-charset thingies that can
    inadvertently introduce CRLFs) before writing to a file. We could
    even use a simple CRLF-delimited MSG and require that clients escape
    CR and LF in MSG before sending.

    But all this still begs the question, would a syslog-ish facility
    with US-ASCII HEADER contents being written to a text logfile be
    of interest to someone who is wanting to ship around these binary
    encoded messages that can contain CRLF? If not, then we don't solve
    a problem by engineering to make such MSGs possible.

    -Bennett