word lists

From: The Picard (thepicardat_private)
Date: Thu May 17 2001 - 20:23:41 PDT

    Hello,

    Does anyone know where word lists containing commands can be found? Let me
    explain: during a pen-test I found a network device that has a telnet
    server. However, the prompt doesn't tell what it is/does nor does it appear
    to be an IOS-style box. More likely an embedded device. The password was
    trivial, however, there is little I can do with it because most commands I
    typed give an error back. I wrote a perl script that takes commands from a
    file and fed them one by one to the device through telnet, saving those that
    do not lead to an error to a separate file for later examination. Currently
    (the brute-force is still going on) I'm using 15M wordlist initially
    designed for password cracking.

    I'm also looking for a file that contains commands (such as the IOS ones)
    that are not words by themselves, but can be concatenations of words, with
    or without hyphens and other typical shell/Cisco/whatever commands.

    Probably this is more for curiosity than for actual penetration of the above
    device, however I thought others would be interested as well in such a list.
    Years ago, there used to be many word lists at
    ftp.cso.uiuc.edu/pub/security/wordlists/ but the site is no longer up.

    Thank you.