Re: RE:Ethical Hacking Courses

From: Shoten (shotenat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 13:18:29 PDT

    > DEFCON is a party, it's advertised as such.  If you can stay sober you
    might
    > learn something at DEFCON.  Lately the crowds have made that impossible.
    > Black Hat might be more of a learning experience, but it backs right up to
    > DEFCON on the calendar, and Vegas ain;t the best place to concentrate.

    DefCon is a party, but you can still learn a lot.  The problem is that there
    are thousands of people, but you can only learn anything significant from a
    small number of them.  And then you have to find them, and then you have to
    be able to hang with them while there...and so on and so on...but, if you DO
    manage that, then you have not just one class or learning experience, but a
    contact point from which you continue to learn.  It's a different kind of
    outcome than a class, and requires a bit of luck.

    Also, I don't know how much I trust the descriptions of hackers that are
    taught in classes...I've seen so many different breakdowns of the community
    (although they all seemed to agree on script kiddies) that don't match up to
    each other, nor seem to properly encompass all of what I've seen.  I'd
    rather observe them in the wild than look at a powerpoint slide that
    purports to tell me what they think.