RE: Blind IP spoofing portscan tool?

From: Yonatan Bokovza (Yonatanat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 14 2001 - 06:13:26 PDT

    For the fast readers, two introductions to this
    subject are at:
    http://www.securiteam.com/securitynews/A_new_stealth_port_scanning_method.ht
    ml
    and at:
    http://www.sans.org/infosecFAQ/audit/hping2.htm
    They both refer to hping:
    http://www.kyuzz.org/antirez/hping.html

    and I remember at least one tool that's designed
    to do exactly that scan:
    http://packetstorm.securify.com/UNIX/scanners/6thSense.tgz

    IP_ID is a field in the IP packet header that is meant
    to be different for every fragment of packet, thereby
    helping the reciever to defrag a fragmented packet.

    Most OSs just increment it for every outgoing packet.
    OpenBSD, of course, randomize that. Linux kernel
    2.4 (IIRC) use IP_ID of zero whenever the packet doesn't
    need fragmentation and sets the DF flag on. So if
    fragmentation is needed an
    ICMP_FragNeededButDon'tFragBitWasSet is
    received and the packet is resent, fragmented.
    FreeBSD has a patch, here:
    http://people.freebsd.org/~kris/ipid.patch . I
    don't know if it's committed yet, or ever will be.
    Windows has (yet again) a peculiarity, it uses a
    different byte ordering for the IP_ID, so you can
    use that as another method to identify Windows.
    Regarding other OSs, you'r welcome to enlighten me.