Re: Blind IP spoofing portscan tool?

From: Chris Winter (cwinterat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 14 2001 - 07:26:29 PDT

    I think SixthSense may be what you are refering to.  It's available at
    packetstorm, and other such places.

    Here is the readme from the tarball:

    SixthSense.pl

    A while back antirez, in a post to Bugtraq, detailed a new Tcp portscan
    method.

    This method allows one to portscan a host, using spoofed packets, while
    remaining totally invisible to the scanned host < almost as if u had a 6th
    sense ;) >.

    The details of the scan (almost totally stolen from antirez's original post)
    works as follows...

    (A) When an open  tcp port recieves a SYN, it replies with a SYN|ACK
        When a closed tcp port recieves a SYN, it replies with a RST|ACK

    (B) When a host recieves an unknown SYN|ACK, it replies with a RST
        When a host recieves an unknown RST,     it replies with nothing

    (C) You can tell the number of packets a host is sending by reading the ID
    value in the ip header

    What this means....

    We send 4 packets to our dummy host, to port 0, with no tcp flags set, and
    make a note of the incoming ip id's

    ***************************************

    Scanning Dumb Host (for Dumbness)
     33144
     33145
     33146
     33147

    ***************************************

    If the incoming id's do not show a consistant increase, the host is not dumb
    enough to suit our purposes, and the scan aborts.

    If the incoming id's show a constant single increment, then it is safe to
    assume that the dummy host is not ac
    tively talking/communicating to any other host (at this point in time)

    We then send a spoofed packet (SYN) to our target host, on our target port,
    on behalf of our Dummy.

    ***************************************

    We Have a consistant 1 increment host
    *** Injecting Spoofed Packet ***

    ***************************************

    and once more track the incoming ip id's

    ***************************************

     33148
     33150
     33152
     33156

    ***************************************

    Now, if the target port was closed, it would have replied with a RST, <as
    mentioned in (A) earlier> and our Dummy would have responded with nothing
    <as mentioned in B>
    But, if the target port was open, it would have replied with a SYN|ACK (A),
    causing our Dummy to reply with a RST. Dummy's ip id count, will now
    increase, as it has been forced into conversation with Target.

    ***************************************

    *** Yup looks like 22 is open on 196.10.XXX.38 ***

    ***************************************

    As mentioned before, all credit to antirez, for his initial discovery of the
    scan... SixthSense.pl just automates (what still is) a tedious process..

    (SixthSense requires Net::RawIP, run ==> perl -MCPAN -e shell ==> install
    Net::RawIP   )

    HTH,

    Chris

      Chris Winter