Pen test vs Vulnerabilty Assessment (was Re: win2k pentest - what can i do?)

From: Alex Butcher (alexat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 01:49:42 PDT

    Ryan Permeh wrote:
    > as a side, it occurs to me to ask the following of this group:
    >
    > what level of pentration do you perform in an average test?  do you
    > penetrate completely?  use this to leverage access across a network?

    Depends on the level of service commissioned. Our entry-level service
    (Level 1 Interrogate) is purely a vulnerability scan; we enumerate
    /possible/ vulnerabilities (taking great care to try to avoid both false
    positives and negatives) and report on them and how they may be used to
    gain further access. Our premium service (Infiltrate) is (virtually) "no
    holds barred" penetration testing. We allow both classes of customers to
    rule some actions out of bounds, such as DoS (even though it may be
    necessary for spoofing attacks used in Infiltrate).

    Essentially, we consider Interrogate to be a "breadth-first" search for
    vulnerabilities, whilst Infiltrate is a "depth-first" search and we'll
    try to get as deep as we can.

    > what
    > "trophy" do you use to prove access?

    The minimum necessary. If \BOOT.INI proves our point, that'll do. No
    need to drag (potentially) sensitive material unencrypted across the
    Internet...

    >  How do you spell out your level of
    > penetration to your customers?

    We charge more for Infiltrate. :)

    >  do they understand the difference between
    > "vulnerability assesment" and penetration analysis?

    Hopefully. :)

    > just curious how everyone else chooses to do this....
    > Signed,
    > Ryan Permeh
    > eEye Digital Security Team

    Best Regards,
    Alex.
    --
    Alex Butcher                                      PGP/GnuPG Key IDs:
    Consultant, S3 Systems Security Services          alex@s3       B7709088

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/