Emulating a wireless access point

From: Steve Skoronski (skoronskiat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 13 2001 - 13:08:17 PDT

    greetings,

    	I have heard about wireless LAN attacks that involve 'overpowering'
    or competing with the real Access Point with your own. The idea is that the
    clients will automatically switch to your, higher powered AP, authenticate,
    and then you can sniff the authentication sequence.

    	Has anyone seen software to emulate this on a PC/Laptop with a wi-fi
    card? Or should I go look for a used AP?

    TIA

    Steve

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/