Re: brute-forcing NTLM HTTP Authentication

From: Vanja Hrustic (vanjaat_private)
Date: Sat Sep 29 2001 - 10:51:52 PDT

    On Fri, Sep 28, 2001 at 05:43:44PM -0700, Jason binger wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a tool or script out there that
    > can brute-force NTLM web authentication that may be
    > used on IIS or ISA server.
    >
    > I know IE explorer is the only browser that supports
    > this auth method. Does anyone have any papers or link
    > on how exactly it works? Is it just tunnelled using
    > HTTP? Or does it use windows auth ports like TCP 139
    > etc?

    Details on NTLM can be found at:

    http://www.innovation.ch/java/ntlm.html

    libntlm can be found at:

    ftp://ftp.visi.com/users/grante/ntlm/

    download: ftp://ftp.visi.com/users/grante/ntlm/libntlm-0.21.tar.gz

    There is also a tools called 'NTLM Authorization Proxy Server' which could be modified and used as a brute force tool. Implementation is in Python.

    http://www.geocities.com/rozmanov/ntlm/

    I started working on a brute force tool for basic/md5/ntlm some time ago, but I just don't have time to play with it at this moment (and at least
    for another month).

    Hope this helps.

    Vanja

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/