Re: Cisco 2501 Router

From: Jared Brick (jbrickat_private)
Date: Sun Jan 06 2002 - 04:01:34 PST

    Through console:

    -Reboot the router.
    -Hold ctrl + break during boot up
    -Type: o/r 0x42
     Type: i
     Type: n at setup
    -Enter privileged mode
    -copy start run
    -enter new password
    -enter config mode and change configuration register back:
    config-register 0x2102

    Jared

    On Sat, 2002-01-05 at 13:19, Rob Iles wrote:
    > Al, I appreciate this doesn't pertain to pen-testing exactly, but I hope
    > the expertise of list members may be able to assist me. If you choose not
    > to pass it, I'd quite understand!
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    > List,
    > 	I am in the unfortunate (some would say careless) position of not having
    > the password for one of our critical Cisco 2501 Routers.  Does anyone know
    > of a way to obtain the password? Wiping the configuration completely is
    > not an option. I have SNMP access to the device, and can also connect via
    > a console cable if necessary.
    >
    > Any assistance *greatly* appreciated!
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > RI.

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/