RE: Cisco 2501 Router

From: Greg (gregat_private)
Date: Sun Jan 06 2002 - 04:47:17 PST

    This has come up a few times. If you have read/write SNMP access then
    it's pretty simple.

    You can set a new password, or update running config in any other way
    using OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.1.53.x.x.x.x <file>

    The x.x.x.x specifies a tftp server and file specifies a file to UPLOAD
    to the router. This file could contain perhaps one line:
    'enable secret password'
    This then resets the Cisco enable password to 'password' within running
    config so no reboot etc. is needed and yer existing config is untouched.

    regards

    Greg Jones

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/