Re: Modem detection in a LAN

From: Jacek Lipkowski (sq5bpfat_private)
Date: Fri Mar 08 2002 - 13:06:04 PST

    On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, Olivier Busolini wrote:

    > I have been very interested by the information found, and I am now looking
    > for a simple automated tool that could be run to detect a modem connected to
    > an *nix or windows machine in a LAN.

    If you have a dhcp server on the network look at the dhcp client ID's.
    A standard NT box will reserve a pool of IPs for modems. The client
    identifiers for those leases will start with 0x52 0x41 0x53 or "RAS". This
    should also be true for win2000. Also, someone told me once that windows
    platforms broadcast some junk to the network periodically when they have a
    modem attached (probably some plug and pray mechanism).

    For unix boxes you could try a script that greps /etc/inittab for unusual
    getty entries (if you have access to those machines).

    Still wardialing is your best bet.

    jacek

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/