[Plugins-writers] On the copyright of the Nessus reports...

From: Renaud Deraison (deraison@private)
Date: Wed Dec 10 2003 - 11:58:41 PST

    There are some confusion about the copyright ownership of a Nessus
    report. When you think about it, a Nessus report is like a book
    regarding the security of your network, and as with every book, there
    are limitations to what you can do with it.

    Basically, there are two ways to consider a Nessus report :

    (a) Some people think that since the text is under the GPL, the report is
    free of rights and basically falls under the public domain.

    (b) Some people think that a Nessus reports is copyrighted whoever wrote the
    plugins which appear in the report.

    Point (a) is a common misconception. I consider that the report is beyond
    the scope of the GPL and therefore falls under the "traditional" copyright
    law. Point (b) is currently implicit, but I think it really is time to
    underline it.

    So in order to clear up any doubt about this, I  plan to add a
    README.PLUGINS_OUTPUT in nessus-plugins/ and on the Nessus website to clear
    up any confusion : I consider that a Nessus report is copyright whoever
    wrote the text which appear into it.

    So I am posting this here :

    - To request comments from plugins writers on that issue. I am not
      interested in endless philosophical debates about the GPL but rather
      in implementation issues, ie: should the name of every author be printed
      in the Nessus reports ?

    - If you, as a plugin writer, want to put the text of your plugin in the
      public domain, let me know and I will add a special mention in your
      plugin.

    				-- Renaud