Re: [Plugins-writers] On the copyright of the Nessus reports...

From: Renaud Deraison (deraison@private)
Date: Wed Dec 10 2003 - 12:59:38 PST

    On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 09:51:08PM +0100, Vincent Renardias wrote:
    > > My understanding is that every plugin that was submitted was under GPL,
    > > and while I might like our company name mentioned in every report of
    > > everyone out there who runs nessus (and its commercial cousin, NeWT) I
    > > think it might get clumbersom.
    >
    > The GPL already says about this, see article 0:
    >
    > "The act of running the Program is not restricted, and the output from
    > the Program is covered only if its contents constitute a work based on
    > the Program (independent of having been made by running the Program)."
    >
    > Although I not sure about how to interpret it.

    Either ways, in the case of Nessus it's not really different :`

    1. If the output is not considered as being covered by the GPL
      it does not mean that it falls in the public domain. We are talking
      about readable text which was written by human beings to start with,
      so traditional copyright law applies.

    2. If the output is considered as being covered by the GPL then it means
      that interfaces manipulating the reports must fall under the GPL (?)

    I personally think it's (1), but if that's (2), then there are companies
    out there abusing the GPL (including mine then, but I can easily fix
    that on my end).