Re: [Plugins-writers] On the copyright of the Nessus reports...

From: Vincent Renardias (vincent@private)
Date: Wed Dec 10 2003 - 13:25:32 PST

    On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 21:33, Michael Scheidell wrote:

    > > - If you, as a plugin writer, want to put the text of your plugin in the
    > >   public domain, let me know and I will add a special mention in your
    > >   plugin.
    >
    > My understanding is that every plugin that was submitted was under GPL,
    > and while I might like our company name mentioned in every report of
    > everyone out there who runs nessus (and its commercial cousin, NeWT) I
    > think it might get clumbersom.
    >

    > Do you think there should be a difference between the GPL's nessus and the
    > commercial version?
    >
    > if tenable is using GPL'd plugins, should they mention (somewhere) that
    > there may be additional copyright authors?

    The case is about the same as it is for GCC I think: the GCC output does
    include ASM code snippets written by GCC authors, but still the output
    (the executable) is NOT under GPL. I'd expect it to be the same for
    Nessus reports: they depend mostly of by machines, but include text
    snippets from Nessus.

    Copyrighting "real" (ie: at least page long) text does very much make
    sense, but copyrighting things like 5 lines of text like in nessus
    output is pretty pointless IMHO.

    (Std disclamer: I'm at the same time author of a few GPL licenced Nessus
    plugins and my company makes money to run Nessus on its clients'
    machines)

    --
    Vincent Renardias <vincent@private>