Re: [Plugins-writers] On the copyright of the Nessus reports...

From: Renaud Deraison (deraison@private)
Date: Wed Dec 10 2003 - 13:36:36 PST

    On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 10:25:32PM +0100, Vincent Renardias wrote:
    > The case is about the same as it is for GCC I think: the GCC output does
    > include ASM code snippets written by GCC authors, but still the output
    > (the executable) is NOT under GPL. I'd expect it to be the same for
    > Nessus reports: they depend mostly of by machines, but include text
    > snippets from Nessus.

    See http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#CanIUseGPLToolsForNF

    Nessus does not just translate the output into an output. In that sense,
    it would be closer to Bison than to GCC.

    > Copyrighting "real" (ie: at least page long) text does very much make
    > sense, but copyrighting things like 5 lines of text like in nessus
    > output is pretty pointless IMHO.

    Lots of plugins have more than 5 lines of text. They not only describe
    the flaw, but why it's bad and how to fix it.

    And at the end of the scan, multiple plugins show up, totalizing multiple
    _pages_ of report (and I'm not mentionning plugins
    appearing twice).

    				-- Renaud