Re: Job question.

From: Gabe Kostolny (gabeat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 14:21:30 PST

    Up until a couple of months ago, I'd been facing the same question.
    Fortunately I've found a cool job as 'network security engineer' at a
    startup.  Perhaps an outline of my experiences and what I've done will
    be helpful:

    For the past few years, I've been very interested in computer security,
    following bugtraq, reading mailing lists, and trying to experiment and
    learn on my own.  At the same time, I was acquiring about 4 years of
    experience as a *nix admin in large and small heterogenous environments.
    My first "real" job was combo unix admin/perl&c programmer for a web
    development house.  Since I was responsible for the security of machines
    on the 'net at that job, I was able to put a little security experience
    on my resume, especially because I tried to make it a large-ish part of
    my job.  Following jobs were Tech Support at a "Secure ISP" (sucked, I
    wasn't learning, left after three months), and then contract sysadmin
    for Taos Mtn, this was cool, because I got some really diverse experience.
    For the last job, I moved down to San Jose, so I'm pretty much in the
    heart of where people are needed.

    I'd also posted to this list and asked for advice, help, etc.  Some of
    the replies I got were very helpful and encouraging.  Suggestions ranged
    from experimenting on my own to working for free for non-profits or
    such.  One guy even said if I lived on the east coast and had a security
    clearance, he'd hire me, which was encouraging. I made sure all my friends
    knew this was the field I wanted to be in.  I also watched the list,
    chatted with people on various irc channels, and tried to let my
    background and such be known as widely as possible.

    The way I finally got a security job is pretty funny:
    A friend of mine from detroit was chatting with some guy on irc who
    mentioned his company was looking for a security person.  My friend
    said, "hey, I know this guy..." and got me the other guy's email
    address.  I sent him off my resume, and got an interview almost
    immediately.  When I talked to the people here, they seemed pretty cool
    with my experience and such, when I explained how I'd been trying to
    focus on security.  They quizzed me a bit on my firewall and network
    knowledge, as well as unix and nt (which I didn't know too well), and
    then I talked to the director of operations.  He told me they were
    basically looking for someone who wasn't too senior, because those
    people are extremely difficult to find (which strikes me as true, plus,
    I'm certain I'm a lot cheaper :).  They wanted someone who could grow
    and expand to do well in the position, with proper training, support,
    etc.  That sounded like me, so the end result is that they made me an
    offer (5k less than i was making at my taos job, but with enticing
    pre-ipo options) and I decided to take it.

    So the path the job took to find me was:
    San Carlos->Detroit (IRC)
    Detroit->San Jose (a MUD)
    San Jose->San Carlos (email)

    All that said, that might be the sort of organization/position you
    should look for.  Get the word out to any friends you have in the
    industry, and be persistent.  I first realized I wanted a real security
    job about a year and a half ago, but it's finally a reality, and I love
    it.  Keep your ear to the ground.

    -gabe