Re: Job question.

From: Lee Kushner (Leeat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 17:22:40 PST

    Information Security Professionals:

    As the CEO of an executive recruitment firm that specializes in Information
    Security and Secure Electronic Commerce, I disagree with your
    generalizations about "headhunters" and particularly two statements:

    1) You state that "telling a headhunter your skills is dangerous" - on the
    contrary, misrepresenting your skills, compensation, and background is
    unacceptable.  If you misrepresent any of these items, an employer has the
    right to fire you, even if you have accepted a position.

    Rule #1 about interviews and working with "headhunters":  NEVER LIE!

    2) You talk about searching the web for "honest job listings."  The web is a
    place where you blindly submit a resume to HR departments, who generally do
    not understand the skill sets of an information security professional.  By
    posting a resume on the web, you are guaranteed to get phone calls for
    positions that are not applicable to your skill sets.   If you can find a
    "headhunter" that serves as career counselor, as opposed to an "apartment
    finder", than you have a valuable asset.

    Some things that you should ask before you work with a "headhunter":
    1)  What do you know about the Information Security Industry?
    2)  What are your policies on confidentiality?
    3)  Who will my resume be sent to?  HR or a direct hiring manager?
    4)  If I decide to take an interview, what will the process be like?
    5)  What is my career path with this position?
    6)  What will my responsibilities be if I accept this position?

    By the way, certifications and degrees are nice, but employers want to know
    what you have actually accomplished.  A knowledgeable recruiter will be able
    to articulate your past experiences whether it was on a college campus, an
    internship, or as an employee.

    A search firm who has contacts within the industry is valuable, but the
    search firm that can advise you how to position your career and grow your
    skills, is invaluable.

    I apologize on behalf of all of the qualified information security
    recruitment firms on your unfortunate dealings with "headhunters".

    Sincerely,
    Lee Kushner
    L.J. Kushner and Associates, L.L.C.
    (732)577-8100