Re: Job question.

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 00:09:01 PST

    ari wrote:

    > A computer science degree means little in the computer security or unix
    > administration fields.  On the job, what really matters is whether you have the
    > proper skills.  Headhunters (recruiters) do value a degree, however, and some

    I'd say that a big tip is to totally avoid headhunters.

    Rationalle:  this is a *very* hot employment market.  Anyone with any kind of
    qualifications can land a job.  Getting a job is easy; just read for
    solicitations.  Therefore, the only "stock" a headhunter will have are either
    totally incompetent people, or people who are vastly over-priced for their
    qualifications.

    I reject headhunter-supplied applicants out of hand.  Do your own job search; you
    don't need the pimps.

    > 5. Headhunters generally like certifications -- any of them.  If you have an
    > MCSE, you will be much better qualified for a position relating to security or
    > unix, as far as many headhunters are concerned.

    Another excellent reason to avoid headhunters.  I also regard most "certificates"
    as a black mark.  I am willing to consider an applicant who has a certificate, but
    there has to be some extenuating circumstances to explain why they would spend
    good money on something as useless as a "certificate".

    What I really value:

       * show me your code
       * experience
       * passion
       * knowledge of technical issues
       * knowledge of current events (it indicates that the applicant is paying
         attention)

    Crispin
    -----
    Crispin Cowan, CTO, WireX Communications, Inc.    http://wirex.com