Re: Job question.

From: Jeffrey Glaser (jeffg@IIT-INC.COM)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2000 - 11:23:55 PST

    As a technical recruiter I see both sides of the argument. Naturally, we
    wish to contact potentially valid candidates as quickly as possible.
    (This also means "before the next two hundred recruiters call.")

    We do ask that potential or actual candidates call us or email us so we
    can arrange for an interview and screening.  We're more than happy to do
    so on our dime (or nickel), as the case may be.  The "contact" or
    interview equation is not carved in stone, nor should it be.

    I believe  that candidates may be overwhelmed with the sheer magnitude
    of recruiter responses; that is a major factor of the technology
    industry...too many of us and not enough solid candidates who are
    actually willing to commit to a position.  Realistically, while
    thousands of candidates post every day, we frequently prefer the
    candidate who responds to a specific job posting or one who is referred
    to us by a professional acquaintance or client. For that matter, we also
    like the solid, unsolicited resume of a person who wishes to be part of
    a confidential search.  From our perspective these individuals
    frequently make the best candidates: if interested in the position for
    which we're conducting the search, they are likely to stay the course,
    be less driven by the "next dollar" and be more prone to not accept
    counter offers. Again, there are no absolutes.

    Your comment regarding  rudeness, i.e., not getting back to you with
    interview results or reasons for rejection, is unfortunate, and is not a
    smart way of building a long term relationship with a candidate. The
    recruiting business is known for having too many practitioners who
    believe it is a numbers game, and a smaller number of us who feel it is
    a relationship game (or combination of the two). Those who fall into the
    first mindset are less likely to call you again. The real indignity is
    done by those recruiters who submit a candidate's resume without the
    candidate's approval or knowledge.  This broadcast behavior causes good
    candidates (and not so good ones, too) significant difficulty and many a
    job offer- Client companies do not want to get in the midst of a
    hissy-fit between two recruiters.

    I'm responding not in defense of those who offend, but rather to promote
    the professional ethic (and naturally, to seek a few dozen great people
    who want to work in the DC metro area or NY or Boston or.... you know
    what I mean).

    I hope you have a great day.

    At your service,

    Sincerely,

    Jeffrey Glaser
    Manager of Recruiting
    IIT Inc.
    8027 Leesburg Pike
    Ste 206
    Vienna, VA 22182
    703-790-5555
    jeffg@iit-inc.com

    Jeffrey Glaser       jeffg@iit-inc.com  703-790-5555
    http://www.iit-inc.com
                                        IIT Inc.
    N E W  Y O R K              W A S H I N G T O N           D A L L A S