Re: Network Security, degree or not degree

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 15:39:40 PDT

    "Forman, Justin (Justin)** CTR **" wrote:

    > Many security experts simply love technology and thus come to know it really
    > well. I haven't heard of many college curriculums (though the scene is
    > changing) that will take you to that level. However, I have heard of
    > conferences, educational events, independent training, and a great deal of
    > self-exploration options that will.

    My experience in hiring and managing degreed and non-degreed staff is that
    formal education and self-education produce different results.  Self-educated
    people learn about whatever interests them, and that tends to bias their skills
    towards the practical end of things.  Formally educated people get stuff
    crammed down their throat whether they like it or not :-) and that makes them
    aware of more theoretical issues that may not be fun to learn about, but
    definitely are important.  So I seek out degreed people for positions that
    require theoretical knowledge, and seek self-educated people (degreed or not)
    for more practical positions.

    For instance:  It would be very useful to WireX to have a program that could
    examine a perl script and identify a complete list of files that the perl
    script will attempt to access.  A self-educated person might spend a couple of
    months trying to build such a program.  A theoretically aware person will know
    from the outset that it is provably impossible.

    NOTE:  it is always important to seek self-educated people, whether or not they
    have a degree.  If they aren't sufficiently interested in the area to educate
    themselves, then they likely won't perform well in the work place, regarding it
    as "just work."

    Crispin

    --
    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.