Re: Changes to the Info Sec Marketplace ??

From: Steve (steveat_private)
Date: Tue May 01 2001 - 21:29:11 PDT

    About a month and a half ago I lost my job at a security research
    organization due to company wide cut-backs.  I was a bit stressed about it
    as I too had heard the rumors of cut-backs.  I took a couple weeks off, then
    started shooting my resume out.  I was flooded with phone calls and
    interviews and had no real problems finding a new job.  Out of all of the
    offers I received it was a Big 5 that managed to "sell" me on joining them.

    I think if I learned anything from this experience (other than save my
    money. heh) is that the companies who are truly doing well and truly making
    money will continue to need staff and will continue to hire people.  I feel
    (and this is my opinion only) that some of the other companies out there
    have ramped up too quickly and hired too many people.  They are now finding
    themselves not being as profitable as they like so instead of addressing the
    management situations that caused the poor judgment in the first place, they
    let a chunk of staff go then, regardless of current work levels refuse to
    add additional staff.  This is a classic in some of the bigger companies.

    Bottom line, if you have marketable skills, can handle the interview
    processes and have a little patience there are lots of jobs out there.  The
    InfoSec market has slowed down, but I think it is still growing and will
    continue to grow as security awareness grows.

    Regards;

    Steve Manzuik