RE: Random Thoughts from the "Peanut Gallery"

From: Ken Pfeil (Kenat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2001 - 12:37:39 PDT

    Hi Clement,
    CIL- I've left the bottom part intact for clarification purposes.

    What bold general statements did I make? Did I single out any specific
    companies? No. The material was presented mainly for effect and evidently
    "hit home" with a great number of professionals in the field (Who's basic
    consensus was "Thanks, that needed to be said"), As well as some recruiters
    who are established in this field and do a fine job at infosec recruiting.
    Your Mileage May Vary...

    > It is obvious from your message that you are bidder about your
    > situation but
    > that does not mean other people are all in the same situation and that all
    > recruiters are twits.

    Nor did I ever even remotely state that. I'm not bitter at all (not any
    more). I was at first when I was first laid off without notice (as many
    people are), but if you read below, that is what I caution against. I don't
    consider all recruiting agencies to be "twits". Any recruiters that I've
    spoken with in the past wanna "chime in" on this one? Clearly as with any
    profession, it is a "mixed bag". There are also, however, an number of
    agencies that do not seem to have a clue when dealing with an InfoSec
    professional. As one humorously mentioned to me off-list:
    "Their modus operandi seems to be sending as many resumes as they possibly
    can and hoping that they will get a hit on one of them.  Well if you throw
    enough crap against the wall, some of it is bound to stick." (Thank you
    Dan).

    It was not to codemmn the industry as a whole, but as a subtle reminder of
    some of the things we as candidates expect.

    > I have seen recruiters that are very good at what they do and
    > they establish
    > a very close relationship with you.  Yes, I agree, if you post your resume
    > on all of the job board out there, your resume will endup being submitted
    > twice for the same job with a different style to it.  Read the fine print
    > before you submit your resume anywhere.

    Agreed. Just be aware that if you DO post to a job board, it WILL get
    around. Sometimes years later. The internet is funny that way. It has a very
    persistant tendency to it :-) If you don't believe me, look up this message
    3 years from now. It'll be around SOMEWHERE.

    > You also have to keep in mind that if you had a once in a lifetime
    > opportunity to quickly fastrack to the coveted position of
    > Security Officer
    > with a startup or some dotcom, it does not mean that you qualify
    > to become a
    > security officer in any other company or in any bigger company.  Only your
    > experience and applicable skills and accomplishment will open
    > doors to such
    > positions.

    The point here was: "Be prepared to RE-ENTER the "real world". But your
    skills are more than just some really cool keywords. If you can judge
    someone's skills merely from a piece of paper, you're a much better guy than
    the rest of the world. And for the record, it wasn't a "fast track" to the
    "coveted position". I EARNED every bit of it. I've got the "battlescars" to
    prove it. You can talk to anyone who knows me.

    > Last but not least,  I have seen big five consultants that are damn good,
    > just like any other field out there, you have good and bad
    > apples.  Making a
    > general statement saying all big five consultants are useless or comparing
    > them to bad recruiters is not giving a real view of what is going on.  I
    > know some big five consultants that could most certainly teach you a few
    > tricks.

    Again, a mixed bag. I know also know some VERY fine people working in the
    big five. But I also know a few duds. My point was that this type of
    background will never HURT your chances when comparing apples to apples.
    Where did I ever state that they were useless?

    > The best point in your posting is about Networking,  you have to let you
    > close friends know that you looking for employment,  it is sometimes very
    > strange how offers comes by.
    >
    > In my view there is tons of jobs opportunities if you talk to the right
    > people and have the right skills.

    You certainly have a right to your view, as do I. Talking to the right
    people is a matter of finding the "right people". And I think that is a
    large point in having a forum such as this.

    > It is not as bad as you describe for everyone out there.

    No it isn't. Not for everyone. But that depends on what chair you are
    sitting in and your viewpoint.

    > Clement

    Best Regards,
    Ken