RE: advice please

From: Schmehl, Paul (paulsat_private)
Date: Fri Jul 13 2001 - 16:30:10 PDT

    I've been hiring people for a long time, and I can tell you that
    personality plays a big role in hiring decisions.  Given two people with
    similar skills and experience, personality will be the factor that tips
    the scales.  In some cases, we have even chosen the person with lesser
    skills and/or experience, because we felt they would fit in the
    organization better.

    Skills and experience are important, but best fit for the organization
    is at least as (if not more) important.

    The one thing I wish more candidates would do is be themselves.  If you
    try to impress me, I can usually see right through that.  And I don't
    see negatives as eliminating factors.  I'd much rather have a candidate
    say, "I only have six months experience, but I'm an aggressive learner.
    If you give me the opportunity, I will excel." than to have one say, "I
    did that at my last job", only to find out when you hire them that they
    may have *seen* it done, but they never actually *did* it themselves.

    Paul Schmehl paulsat_private
    http://www.utdallas.edu/~pauls/
    Supervisor, Support Services
    University of Texas at Dallas