Re: Article: Honesty isn't a policy, laid-off techies say

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 18 2001 - 10:43:45 PDT

    ari wrote:

    > Note this, however.  If you give notice and as a result are immediately
    > escorted off the premises, you should still be on payroll and hence will
    > be paid during your final two weeks.  If your superiors decide to fire you
    > at that time in lieu of keeping you on payroll, the company owes you a
    > severance package.
    >
    > Unless you signed something explicitly waiving your rights to this, you
    > may sue your employer for rightful compensation.

    That depends on your juridiction.  For instance, Oregon is an "at will" state,
    and you can be fired with no severance notice at all.  By convention, it is
    polite to give two weeks notice or pay in lieu of notice, but there is no actual
    legal requirement to do so.

    Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice.

    Crispin

    --
    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.