Re: Article: Study Says Security Expertise In Short Supply

From: Bill Cavdek (bill_cavdekat_private)
Date: Wed Nov 28 2001 - 16:20:52 PST

    I live in San Jose/Silicon Valley and have trying to find employment
    since Labor Day.  I have been a Network and Systems Administrator for 8
    years dealing with both Unix and NT.  I also have a CISSP and CCNA, as
    well as three professional certificates from University of California,
    Santa Cruz, in Web and E-Commerce Security, Network Engineering, and
    Network Management and Administration.

    After blanketing a list of about 300 high tech companies in S.V. well
    over 6 weeks ago with resumes and cover letters, I received one, yes one,
    phone interview, which was not a good fit for me.

    I also received a handful of inquiries from recruiters, after having
    posted my resume on 10-12 high tech job boards.

    During this same time period, I sent resumes to 12-15 government
    agencies, and several Defense contractors (opening up my search
    nationwide).  None of them have produced any responses either, except for
    maybe a "thank you, we will keep you in mind".

    Then, as someone else stated, I could always work a 6-12 week contract
    position for about $20 per hour.

    In summation, no one can prove to me that security people are in short
    supply.  Everyone is talking the talk, but no one is walking the
    walking.  It would be interesting to know what, and/or who, is fueling
    these "security shortage" reports.

    Our time will come, but don't believe anyone who says it is happening
    right now.

    Bill Cavdek, CISSP, CCNA