Re: "Security Expertise In Short Supply", but no gigs to be found

From: Meritt James (meritt_jamesat_private)
Date: Thu Nov 29 2001 - 06:14:35 PST

    "Moyer, Shawn" wrote:

    > In monitoring this thread, it occurs to me that this is very likely one
    > of those times when the ability to switch-hit or have a "fall-back"
    > skillset is handy. I think most of us came into InfoSec from another
    > area (Unix Sysadmin, Networking, Dev, etc.), and if responses are
    > lukewarm, it might not be a bad idea to have an alternative resume or
    > two emphasizing another skillset.
    >
    > I have several colleagues who have a "Sysadmin" resume and an "InfoSec"
    > resume... Some of the higher-level folks on this list could likely also
    > serve as competent IT managers, I'd wager. In fact, the InfoSec
    > background may show a broader history than someone who's very highly
    > specialized -- it could even be an asset in finding a position in
    > another area of IT.

    When I was looking for a job (and that is NOT now) (especially a few
    years ago) I would taylor the resume along with a taylored cover letter
    for the position.  I kept separate "security resume" and "sysadmin
    resume" files that I could taylor.

    > I'm not in the market myself (I like to lurk on the list to get a feel
    > for what's going on in the InfoSec job market), but in the past I
    > received a lot of calls / emails about Unix and Cisco positions since
    > those are areas that I work in a lot, even though InfoSec has been my
    > specialization for quite a few years. Although I found it annoying at
    > the time, it's nice to know that in a pinch there are some other areas
    > to market myself in.

    Funny how I keep getting calls for audit positions (I an VP of our state
    ISACA and a CISA) when I'm really more interested in security and still
    get some sysadminish calls.  Doesn't hurt to belong to a couple of
    publicized organizations (ISSA & ISACA, to pick the ones I know about).

    --
    James W. Meritt CISSP, CISA
    Booz | Allen | Hamilton