RE: Am I getting the wrong end of the stick?????

From: Kruger, David, 1stLt, AFPCA/IAN (David.Krugerat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 17 2002 - 05:13:55 PDT

    Sean et al,

    	I'm new to the security side of IT, having just transferred to my
    present position about a month ago. Although the military is not exactly a
    good analogy for salary comparison, I would like to put my two cents in if I
    may.

    	As a technician or manager, I would expect to receive fair
    compensation when compared to others in the region with similar education
    and experience (in the same industry), not to mention demand it within my
    own company. I would say that today's job market is not nearly as juicy as
    it was a couple of years ago, when if you could spell "IT" you were
    virtually guaranteed a $50K a year job (minimum). Today there are many
    "good" IT professionals who are looking for work. It's my firm belief that
    the technology boom of the 1990's allowed many to call themselves "IT"
    people, when in fact they really hadn't a clue as to what they were doing
    and were merely riding on the coat tails of those who did. What that
    resulted in was your coworker with an AA in Interior Design being in charge
    because those with technical savvy and enough guts tried creating/working
    for new start-ups.

    	That said, I'd also like to point out that there's a lot to be said
    for longevity, loyalty, and the stick-to-it-iveness that has allowed people
    to advance. The fact that your boss has an AA in an unrelated discipline is
    really immaterial. They have the position. The fact that new team member has
    a bachelors degree and earns $7K more than you should motivate you to
    increase your educational level. As a prior enlisted AF member and currently
    an officer, it always bothers me when someone who has less rank whines about
    not making as much money as someone else. Here's a newsflash: That person
    has probably worked their rear ends off to get to where they are, and
    whether they deserve it or not they've attained a certain level of
    responsibility. Those who are complaining should look inside, decide whether
    getting that pay raise is worth the extra time to educate themselves or not
    (either with an Associates, Bachelors, or Masters degree or with a technical
    certification). I'm a firm believer in setting goals, then charting a course
    to attain them.

    	Sean, I wasn't trying to create any kind of a bad vibe here, just
    weighing in with my opinion. I live by what I've said in this message. I was
    in a non-IT field for a number of years in the AF, then had the opportunity
    to change career fields. Knowing that I needed to continue my education was
    a result of planning where I wanted to be in 2, 5, and 10 years. I didn't
    want to be a programmer my whole life, because quite frankly unless you
    develop the "killer app", you're going to stagnate in salary somewhere in
    time. If you want to move into management, get the education that's desired
    by employers.

    	I was once told by someone I respected a great deal "Those who know
    how will always work for those who know why." I truly believe that is true.

    ~Freddie
    David C. Kruger, 1st Lt, USAF
    Chief, Vulnerability Assessment Branch