Re: CR II - winME? confirmation? (Slightly OT)

From: Amer Karim (amerkat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 08:03:33 PDT

    Hi All,

    All the advisories about CR state that only IIS servers are vulnerable.
    However, it’s my understanding that the unchecked buffer in idq.dll was the
    source of that vulnerability.  If that’s the case, then why have the
    advisories not included Win2K systems (all flavours) since idq.dll is
    installed by default as part of the indexing service on all these systems –
    regardless of whether they are using the service or not?  Wouldn’t that make
    ANY system with the indexing service on it just as vulnerable as systems
    with IIS? Am I overlooking something obvious here?

    Regards,
    Amer Karim
    Nautilis Information Systems
    e-mail: amerkat_private, mamerkat_private