Re: Civil Disobedience

From: dan.ellisat_private
Date: Tue Oct 16 2001 - 03:18:52 PDT

    On 10/15/2001 05:56:56 PM ethan wrote:

    >I can't begin to count the number of times that visitors to our site,
    >whom just got that spiffy new firewall on their windows box, have
    >emailed me, cc'd to the FBI, our upstream, and anyone else they can
    >think of claiming our servers were "breaking into" their machine.

    It's a shame these 'spiffy new firewalls' don't come packaged with at
    least a small amount of clue under the shrinkwrap. Having somebody
    retrieve files via FTP from your server, and then send you, your
    upstream etc the logs showing you trying to *ahem* 'hack' them on
    the auth port and, astoundingly, the ftp-data port really goes to show
    how over-paranoid and hysterical people can get.

    >Any newbie
    >with a firewall that suspects something is going to become a terrorist
    >spotter.

    I'd have to agree that the reporting of every small incident leads to
    a complete loss of perspective for some people.

    --
    Dan Ellis, Software Engineer                              Sophos Anti-Virus
    email: dan.ellisat_private                           http://www.sophos.com