Techniques for Vulneability discovery

From: kaipower (kaipowerat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 04 2002 - 17:04:33 PST

    Hi,

    After reading the mailing list for quite a while, there is a burning
    question which I kept asking myself:

    How do experts discover vulnerabilities in a system/software?

    Some categories of vulnerabilities that I am aware of:
    1) Buffer overflow (Stack or Heap)
    2) Mal access control and Trust management
    3) Cross site scripting
    4) Unexpected input - e.g. SQL injection?
    5) Race conditions
    6) password authentication

    Do people just run scripts to brute force to find vulnerabilities? (as in
    the case of Buffer overflows)
    Or do they do a reverse engineer of the software?

    How relevant is reverse engineering in this context?

    Anybody out there care to give a methodology/strategy in finding
    vulnerabilities?

    Mike