Re: Techniques for Vulneability discovery

From: Florian Hobelsberger / BlueScreen (genius28at_private)
Date: Fri Apr 05 2002 - 04:14:00 PST

    I am not yet to be considered as professional, so don't overweight my way to
    find things ;)

    But I mostly use some kind of this procedure:
    - I take a piece of software
    - If there is a source code availabe (open source), i  usually have a look
    at it to find logical (like missing examinations of user input etc.) or
    other programming mistakes (like buffer assignments which could lead to
    buffer overflows)
    - if there is no source code availabe, i have a look at the output of the
    programs and scripts and their behavior. Then i try to find out in mind how
    it could work (for example: Do some scripts just use simple shell commands
    ?). Also (like in  PHP Scripts) i have a look if it includes other files.
    Also, just try to insert XSS.
    - if i don't know anything about it, i just have a try with using
    "bruteforce" (mostly for buffer overflows). Mostly i do this manually by
    just sending via pipes or Clipboard a lot of "A"s.To check the clients i
    open a netcat shell on a specific port or use my (or tSR's ;) own simple
    software which just sends a lot of "A"s after the client connected or did
    certain things.
    - Always have a look what happens then ;)
    - In the end i / we try to find a way to exploit this ;)

    We will also write some more scripts and software to automate the process of
    finding vulnerabilites.

    Hopefully i could give you some good points. But i am looking forward to
    hear some more from other people on these lists.... ;)

    Greetings from Munich,

    BlueScreen / Florian Hobelsberger (UIN: 101782087)
    Member of:
    www.IT-Checkpoint.net
    www.Hackeinsteiger.de
    www.DvLdW.de

    To encrypt classified messages, please download and use this PGP-Key:

    http://www.florian-hobelsberger.de/BlueScreen-PGP-PubKey.txt