Re: Techniques for Vulneability discovery

From: 3APA3A (3APA3Aat_private)
Date: Sat Apr 06 2002 - 00:14:12 PST

    Dear kaipower,

    I   can   say   for   SECURITY.NNOV   (you   can   find   advisories  on
    http://www.security.nnov.ru/advisories  ).  We're  not "bug hunters" and
    never specially dig for bugs in software (except very few situation than
    I  was  asked  to  check  software  for vulnerabilities, like in case of
    FTGate).

    Usually  bugs  discovered  as a result of problem solving (that is after
    we're aware of some problem found by user or system administrator we try
    to  research this problem and discover the source of problem. If the bug
    found  in  software  we check for possible security impact). For example
    The  Bat!  directory  traversal  was  found because of attachment bug in
    chat.ru  freemail  server,  Outlook  Express address book weakness after
    researching  the  problem messages sent by user to specific e-mail never
    reached  recipient.  Format  string  in  AVP for sendmail as a result of
    coredump research after continuing server crash, etc.

    Few bugs found are result of "Mind games": we just try to do new concept
    of  attack.  "Unsafe fgets()" bugs, content filtering bypassing, Windows
    2000  Group  policy  DoS  and few not yet released bugs were guessed and
    than confirmed to be in-the-wild in different software.

    Third  category  of  bugs  are  bugs discovered during source code audit
    (bugs  in RADIUS, sendmail/qpop, few non-exploitable buffer overflows in
    fetchmail,  etc)  -  I  needed  to  check  some pieces of code from this
    products and during source code review these problems were discovered.