RE: Publishing Nimda Logs

From: Jose Nazario (joseat_private)
Date: Wed May 08 2002 - 10:56:00 PDT

    On Wed, 8 May 2002 brossiniat_private wrote:

    > It would, however, be pretty niave of us to think that attackers
    > couldn't find lists of infected machines by other means.

    so the issue isn't "attackers can't get this info by other means". it's
    that the quanitity of information would be greatly enhanced by this kind
    of action, publishing logs.

    i have lists from networks i sit on, including my cable modem's network.
    moderatly saavy attacks do, too. there is no reason, though, why someone
    should help them get an order of magnitude more hosts.

    that's the issue, that in publishing these logs you are explicitely
    helping any attackers gather this info.

    jose nazario, ph.d.			joseat_private
    					http://www.monkey.org/~jose/