Web single sign-on

From: Marty (martiat_private)
Date: Sat Dec 07 2002 - 08:35:45 PST

    Hi group,

    We have a big discussion going on at one of my clients as we are about
    to add an Internet portal to several applications. We are looking at
    implementing a single sign-on (SSO) solution for our web applications.

    This discussion is as follow:

    1- Should we buy an already made up single sign-on solution or build one
    in house?

    We've met with the people from Tivoli and Computers associates already.
    Other suggestions?

    2- What if we go for a temporary in-house solution for next year and get
    stuck with it as the portal and the number of applications starts
    growing?

    My concern here is the potential of risk being blamed by the auditors
    about an in-house development vs a well known product.

    The number of users of the portal will grow in the ten of thousands by
    the end of next year. Robustness of the solution should also be a main
    factor.

    The security of the project is taken care of by firewall, access list,
    DMZ etc.

    The number of different application is already up to ten and the portal
    is not even built yet. The deployment of the appliactions (all web
    based) should start as early as march 2003.

    Pre-requisites : We have to work with the fact that the environment is
    IBM Websphere servers and the fact that we are already using LDAP for
    authentication on some applications. No comments on that part please, we
    have to live with it...

    ---

    Thanks!

    Marty

    Pensée de la semaine :  Comme pour l'esprit, rien n'est trop grand, pour
    la bonté, rien n'est trop petit.

    Martin M Samson
    Chef de projets,