shellcode with standard characters

From: JohnnyRun (gianni79at_private)
Date: Thu Jun 12 2003 - 02:20:00 PDT

    Hi!
    This is my first post and I'm looking for some documentation.
    A friend of mine has produced a segfault with malloc vulnerability on an
    application.
    We would like to produce something more interesting.
    The field overflowed can accept only characters between 0 and 128. Any
    other character is replaced with a whitespace.

    Can we inject shellcode with only this characters avaible?
    Can you suggest me documentation about shellcode writing?

    Thanks a lot
    JohnnyRun

    --