More Rconsole stuff

From: Chris Brenton (cbrentonat_private)
Date: Fri Oct 09 1998 - 08:06:39 PDT

    Since we're on the subject of Rconsole and I did not find this in the
    archives...

    As of NetWare 4.x, Novell recommends using the Inetcfg utility for
    managing networking. If you have "load remote" in the autoexec.ncf,
    Inetcfg will try to grab it and add it to Inetcfg's scripts.

    The problem here is that Inetcfg saves the Rconsole password to SYS:ETC
    in a file named Netinfo.cfg. All users have full read access to this
    directory so anyone with a valid account can view the Rconsole password.
    Given Simple Nomad's post, even if you cut and paste in order to ensure
    that the password is encrypted, it is still extremely vulnerable.

    The patch would be to call remote from another NCF file which is stored
    in the SYS:SYSTEM directory. This will at least limit access to only
    Admins. This will also prevent Inetcfg from trying to grab it. Of course
    the real fix would be to not use Rconsole. ;)

    I've also noticed (with 4.1x anyway) that if you enable Telnet access to
    the server, remote sessions are not logged. Combine this with the above
    and any user can now whack away at the server console without leaving an
    audit trail.

    Any known patches for the above would be most cool,
    Chris
    --
    cbrentonat_private

    * Multiprotocol Network Design & Troubleshooting
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0782120822/0740-8883012-887529
    * Mastering Network Security
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0782123430/002-0346046-8151850