Re: TXT or HTML? -- IE NEW BUG

From: Aaron Whiteman (aaronwat_private)
Date: Sun Jul 29 2001 - 11:18:14 PDT

    On Sun, 29 Jul 2001, Magnus Bodin wrote:

    > On Sat, Jul 28, 2001 at 06:56:15PM -0500, Nathan Neulinger wrote:
    > > > IE doesn't recognize the extensions of files, which
    > > > may contain some html
    > > > code.
    > > > Write a HTML file on NOTEPAD. save it as *.txt.
    > > > upload to any server.then
    > >
    > > It's worse than that - even if you have a cgi script that outputs a
    > > content-type of "text/plain" - some (all?) version of IE still processes
    > > the doc as html. (This is a real PITA when using cgi scripts that output
    > > plain text documents sometimes containing html.)
    >
    > No. But MSIE will do that if it finds some html-tags in the text.
    > MSIE is programmed to act as it knows better than the webserver serving the
    > MIME-header.
    >
    > I've put up some test-examples here: http://x42.com/test/mime/
    >
    > e.g. You cant start a textfile with the word "GIF89a" since it will be
    > interpreted as a gif-picture. Pure magic-numbers stuff there.

    Urk.  Omniweb 4.0.1 does bad things too.

    blink1.gif: loads gif
    blink2: loads gif
    blink3.exe: loads gif
    nopicture.gif: on first load, error:
      Cannot Load Address
      File is not a GIF: head is 'THI', not 'GIF'
       I assume this is the correct behaviour?
    text.exe: for some reason, I can't get Omniweb to load this file.  No
              save dialog, no content.  odd.
    text.html: "GIF89a ====== ..."
    text.txt: same as text.exe.

    IE 5.1b1 (3408):
    blink*: all load as the blinken gif
    text.*: IE appears to be attemting to load the file as a gif.

    --
    Aaron Whiteman -- Thoughts of graduation vaguely apply.
       RCW 19.190 notice: This address is located in Washington State.