Re: Microsoft releases critical fix that breaks their own software!

From: mattmurphyat_private
Date: Thu Jun 13 2002 - 15:08:47 PDT

    >What classic MS, their newest critical alert dealing with the Gopher Root
    >Vulnerability discussed on Security Focus last week
    >[http://online.securityfocus.com/news/464] seems to break windows media
    >player.
    >
    >Is there any validity to this- and, does their fix work?
    >
    >More info on the microsoft critical alert:
    >http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?
    url=/technet/security/
    >bulletin/MS02-027.asp
    >More info on the breakage: http://www.pivx.com/workaround_fail.html

    Not a bit of validity to this; WMP 7.1 successfully initialized and did
    not give any errors (fresh install), with the Gopher proxy set to
    localhost:1.  BTW I don't think it was MS that proposed the proxy
    workaround, that was Online Solutions (http://www.solutions.fi/) that did
    that.  I sent an e-mail to PivX concerning a *multitude* of inaccuracies
    and omissions from their "Gopher Smoker" workaround.  No response from
    PivX on that.  I will have to investigate this, but doesn't installing
    such a fix like "Gopher Smoker" invalidate support contracts?