CRIME Response to Crispin's E-mail about Worm

From: T. Kenji Sugahara (sugahara@private)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 16:26:11 PST

    Crispin,

    Yep... I've been getting hammered.  Last count, I've received over 150
    e-mails with the payload.  All of them have been the badtrans.
    Unfortunately, I've tried to set up some rules that would 1st stick the
    e-mail in the trash (done easily... Screen for .pif and .scr) and then
    automatically e-mail the offending sender (not done easily).  Does anyone
    know how to automatically strip the first character off of a reply address
    automatically and then respond?

    What would really stink is if the mailer/worm actually stripped the 1st one
    or two letters off the sender's e-mail address instead of adding the
    underscore.  Then it becomes much harder to e-mail the sender especially if
    it came from a national ISP.

    Has anyone in this group suffered a professional electronic attack from any
    foreign nations that may be connected with 9/11?

    As for the whole mailing list thing, I'd recommend a moderated and closed
    list.

    T. Kenji Sugahara
    Chief Operations Officer
    counterclaim