Re: [fw-wiz] RE: Help w/ Port 137 Traffic

From: Mikael Olsson (mikael.olssonat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 14 2002 - 12:19:32 PDT

    Richard Sharpe wrote:

    > Hmmm, I don't want to make a lot of game-show like noises, but there are
    > similarities between DNS requests and NetBIOS name requests, however, the
    > RFC1001/RFC1002 people did choose a really weird encoding for names.

    *cough* did I really write that?  Yes, the basic DNS protocol structs
    are the same.  I think I meant to say that the resource record (type)
    structs differ entirely or something like that.  Or maybe my brain
    just short circuited (which would explain why I wrote 'not even
    remotely' related.)

    Anyway, the point is that (as far as I know) you can't use normal
    DNS tools to exchange netbios RRs.  ( ... right? :) )

    --
    Mikael Olsson, Clavister AB
    Storgatan 12, Box 393, SE-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK, Sweden

    "Senex semper diu dormit"