Re: A Comment from User Space

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 13:06:38 PDT

    On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 22:02:52 +0200, Milan Pikula - WWW said:

    > kernel can return few errno codes, lets say they are in some interval
    > and each security module has some offset to this pool of errnos.
    > libc wraps them into retval=-1, errno=EPERM and lsm_errno=something.

    Right. That's what I said, or pretty close.

    > Offsets are statically allocated in the time of installing this module (the
    > source form of it), and the strings (for lsm_perror libc call) are added
    > at the same time to some configuration file (/etc/lsm_errno?). Or we should
    > just enable "includes" in this file and include from real headers of these
    > modules. If the call 'lsm_perror' cannot find the entry in this file, it just
    > prints some default string and exits.
    >
    > This one does not require a daemon (which must be able to communicate with
    > all processes, so it introduces a security risk) and does the same job;
    > it's transparent and easy to localize.

    That's another implementation of lsm_perror().  The point is that by
    specifying retval, errno, and lsm_errno, we've *finished* the kernel
    interface.  A given LSM can ignore lsm_errno, or use a string-table lookup,
    or an IPC, or whatever *else* it wants to in the lsm_perror() handling *in
    user space, after the fact*.

    /Valdis