Re: GPL only usage of security.h

From: Brian Hatch (linux-security-moduleat_private)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 11:09:28 PDT

    My understanding is that LKMs have always been considered by
    Linus to be a use of the kernel, not a derived work, and thus
    could be closed source.

    However this isn't explicitly written anywhere.  What happens
    if tomorrow Linus is hit by a bus, and the remaining kernel
    coders change their minds?  This is a bit of a nebulous area.

    I'd like to see the LSM get accepted, and that by far is the
    biggest priority.  If that means we follow the current
    style, and consider uses of the LSM to be similar to a
    standalone LKM and thus not GPL by necessity, then so be
    it.  Users of the LSM are really not doing anything different
    than they could with their own modules, we're just making it
    easier and more consistant.

    When I signed up for the LSM list, and read the purpose of
    the module, it never occured to me that folks would need to
    GPL anything that uses it, I actually assumed the opposite.
    There will be developers that are put off by this proposed
    change.

    That all said, I personally would prefer that anything using
    the LSM be GPLd.  This is not just a thumbing of my nose at
    the proprietary folks, but a security best-practices concern.
    If this floats with the kernel developers, then I'd go with it.
    Especially if it helps the chances of getting the LSM accepted.

    --
    Brian Hatch                Unlike stupidity,
       Systems and              Genius has its limits.

    Every message PGP signed