Re: SAM file editing

From: SMILER (smilerat_private)
Date: Mon Jun 25 2001 - 06:57:01 PDT

    The problem is not that Ms auth does not check the domain, the fact is that
    MS allways send your current password when accessing a new resource that
    needs authentication.
    This is considered a "feature" because it allows u to login into many
    servers without authentication IF username/password in the server is equal
    to the one that u´re currently using.
    This kind of  "feature" allows a attack such as :

    "if u try to acess my machine, say by typing : \\my.ip.address\myshare$ ",
    your machine will send the HASH of your current password by default before
    querying u for a password. If your current password fails, then it will ask
    for auth. In this case I could capture your HASH and decrypt your pass and
    the user would not ever dream that your machine had sent the current
    password to my server.

    Keep Smiling

    smilerat_private