RE: How to Tackle the Legal Tangle?

From: Steve (steveat_private)
Date: Mon Sep 10 2001 - 13:33:36 PDT

    I agree with Dan.

    Most organizations will have spent the money to have a "Standard Terms &
    Conditions" or "Letter of Understanding" drafted that can be attached to
    proposals and used as a get out of jail free card.  In general, I will not
    start any work for a client, even if it is not a Pen-Test before they have
    signed this document.  This accomplishes two things (if the document is
    drafted properly) it commits the clients to my proposal (and fees) and it
    shows that the client accepts the dangers of performing certain
    tasks.  Also, be sure that the person signing the document is an authorized
    signing agent for the client in question.

    Its a pain in the ass, and lawyers are expensive but make sure that you
    lawyer knows that you want the document to be general enough that you can
    use it for any client with little modification.

    Regards;

    Steve Manzuik
    Moderator - VulnWatch
    www.vulnwatch.org