Re: "Peanut Gallery"

From: kumar (kumar.mahadevanat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 29 2001 - 08:42:59 PDT

    ok.

    time to put on my economics hat and give direction to this thread and to the
    people subscribing to this newsgroup.
    (this is the only time I am going to put my Economics degree to good use  :)   )

    A. every market and industry is and will be governed by the basic principles of
    economics:  demand and supply of labour resources.
    B. The tech industry is unusual in that way, that it was governed by market hype
    since 1996 approx.
    as opposed to sound accounting principles such as Stock P/E (price to earnings
    ratios), debt ratios, future earning potential and other wonderful Accounting
    ratios.
    C. Companies like Nortel did not have sound cost structures and did very VERY
    poor market demand forcast analysis and therefore have as a result huge amount
    of inventory piling up in their godowns.

    Now, what will remain after this shake up is truly sound .DOT coms and tech
    companies w/ sound business plans and have a good grip on the demand for their
    products and services.

    Conclusion:  .DOT coms will not go away but wil emerge stronger and Smarter than
    before.
    +  not every guy  around the block will own a DOT com !

    Remember technology is fun for techies like us (how manay of use have or own 2nd
    hand Solaris box at home for fun!)
    but the people buying technology want to see sound busines cases and view
    technology as a  business enabler that will reduce operating costs .

    Esc
    :wq
    $ . ./penut gallery end discussion
    $ clear

    Rgds.

    Kumar. your friendly neighborhood business techie.