Re: "Security Expertise In Short Supply", but no gigs to be found

From: Moyer, Shawn (smoyerat_private)
Date: Wed Nov 28 2001 - 15:06:47 PST

    In monitoring this thread, it occurs to me that this is very likely one
    of those times when the ability to switch-hit or have a "fall-back"
    skillset is handy. I think most of us came into InfoSec from another
    area (Unix Sysadmin, Networking, Dev, etc.), and if responses are
    lukewarm, it might not be a bad idea to have an alternative resume or
    two emphasizing another skillset.

    I have several colleagues who have a "Sysadmin" resume and an "InfoSec"
    resume... Some of the higher-level folks on this list could likely also
    serve as competent IT managers, I'd wager. In fact, the InfoSec
    background may show a broader history than someone who's very highly
    specialized -- it could even be an asset in finding a position in
    another area of IT.

    I'm not in the market myself (I like to lurk on the list to get a feel
    for what's going on in the InfoSec job market), but in the past I
    received a lot of calls / emails about Unix and Cisco positions since
    those are areas that I work in a lot, even though InfoSec has been my
    specialization for quite a few years. Although I found it annoying at
    the time, it's nice to know that in a pinch there are some other areas
    to market myself in.

    To paraphrase the VP of a sales of a certain highly aggressive security
    software vendor, it's good to have as many hooks in the water as
    possible.

    --shawn

    --
    Shawn Moyer