Re: Am I getting the wrong end of the stick?????

From: ron (ronat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 05 2002 - 19:05:37 PDT

    There are a number of mitigating factors that might play a role here;

    What is your educational history as well as prospective educational future;  Are
    you just maintaining, or is your knowledge base and education expanding so that
    you are of more value to your employer.

    How well do you play with others?  Are you a team player, sharing what you know
    and learn with others on your crew, or are you a loner that tries to maintain
    with 'proprietary' knowledge as 'job security'?

    Additionally, these are tough econimic times, are others getting bigger fatter
    raises then yours, with all of the above being positive as opposed to negative?

    When you accepted the position as a fulltime employee from a contract basis
    would have been the time to dither and cajole up your hiring base salary, now
    you are in catchup mode and need to make yourself more valuable to get those
    fatter checks.

    Thanks,

    Ron DuFresne

    sean dankers wrote:

    > I work as a govt contractor in DC and have been with my present company for
    > a year now.  Previously I was in the Armed Forces for 9 years to give you a
    > little background.  Anyways, I went in for a review and was told that they
    > do not give formal reviews because they have less than 50 employees.  My
    > supervisor then stated that all was to receive was a Cost-of-Living
    > adjustment.  I am currently the lowest paid IA analyst on the so-called
    > team.  I say so-called because the team lead is one with no IT experience
    > and a associates from 1974 in Interior Design and gets a little more than 7k
    > than I do.  She has been here only a few months because I was the only one
    > working on a 3 person contract.  The newest team member is fresh out of the
    > Army working on his Masters and gets 15k more than I do.  I have worked with
    > the client to help my company get a new contract and have helped them get
    > another federal contract during my time here.
    >
    > Should I have received more than a COL raise for being a excellent employee
    > and surpassing my initial expectations??????

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
             admin & senior security consultant:  darkstar.sysinfo.com
                       http://darkstar.sysinfo.com
     "Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
     business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                     -- Johnny Hart
     testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!
    ~~
     The good thing about potential is,
             as long as you do nothing,
                     you'll always have it.