RE: CodeGreen beta release (idq-patcher/antiCodeRed/etc.)

From: Ron DuFresne (dufresneat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 20:27:02 PDT

    If M$ released code into win2k that did self patching, behind the backs of
    the admins and owners of the machines it was loaded on, how would the
    industry react?  Same for sun, hp, ibm..., next thing you know the vendor
    of each little application you put on a system, gets the same code feed,
    and each application starts to searchout and applay patches
    'periodically', how does the market shake out on something like that?

    Thanks,

    Ron DuFresne

    On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, Vachon, Scott wrote:

    > > Article: Subject : Experts Reject Code Red II 'Cleanup Worm' Plan
    > >
    > > http://www.dsinet.org/?id=1654
    > >

    > Hmm, All these "Experts" own or work for companies that "sell" security in
    > some fashion. Of course they reject it. They lose money if folks start
    > fixing things for free ! If I ONLY had a choice of strangers compromising my
    > systems with destructive goals in mind, or those compromising them and
    > patching vulnerabilities, I would choose the latter.
    >
    > ~S~
    >
    > Disclaimer: My own two cents.

    "Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
    business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
    	***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

    OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.