Re: Civil Disobedience

From: Ethan Zimmer (ezimmerat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 15 2001 - 09:56:56 PDT

    John Thornton wrote:

    > ( Moderator: Please pass this though Blue Boar. Please just allow this
    > thread even if it is just for a day )
    >
    > In case you have been living under a rock the past few weeks. You should
    > know that our civil liberties are under attack. Kevin Poulsen wrote:
    > "Hackers, virus-writers and web site defacers would face life imprisonment
    > without the possibility of parole under legislation proposed by the Bush
    > Administration that would classify most computer crimes as acts of
    > terrorism."
    > ( http://www.securityfocus.com/news/257, Hackers face life imprisonment
    > under 'Anti-Terrorism' Act). When you read the news this morning you will
    > see that this bill was passed by the Senate.
    > (http://www.securityfocus.com/news/265, Senate passes terror bill).
    >
    > I will say that most of the readers of this news group are not hackers but
    > Network Administrators that are very involved with the Security Community.
    > That is why I am asking you, not to report minor scans against your network
    > to the abuse department of any ISP if this bill becomes law.
    >
    > I as a Network Administrator for many years now have been on a routine to
    > check my logs for scans against my network every morning and send the logs
    > of attacks to the abuse department of the ISP. I encourage every Network
    I can't begin to count the number of times that visitors to our site,
    whom just got that spiffy new firewall on their windows box, have
    emailed me, cc'd to the FBI, our upstream, and anyone else they can
    think of claiming our servers were "breaking into" their machine.  Every
    single time this was a web application using a port other then 80.
    These go 100% of the time unanswered by anyone but me explaining that
    they were just contacting us and the traffic is benign.  I can't imagine
    what the future will bring with these proposed new laws.  Any newbie
    with a firewall that suspects something is going to become a terrorist
    spotter.

    Quite scary.

    --
    Ethan Zimmer - ezimmerat_private