Re: Civil Disobedience

From: Felix von Leitner (leitnerat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 15 2001 - 10:38:00 PDT

    Thus spake John Thornton (jthorntonat_private):
    > Again, I have always felt it was my duty to report attacks against my
    > network to there ISP. I looked at it as doing my part to make the internet
    > more secure. I figured it is a good lesson for the kid to have his service
    > taken away. If this bill becomes law then its no longer just some kid
    > getting his service taken away. It is something that can escalate to much
    > more and could result to some kid going to jail for a long time. I will not
    > be a part of it even if there is just a slight possibility that this can
    > happen. I want nothing to do with it.

    And what will that achieve?  The opposite of what you actually want: the
    computer crime statistics will show a marked reduction of "cyber
    criminality" and the government will not only believe they did the right
    thing, they will also use this as precedent for other "terrorist"
    problems.  Driving too fast, for example, because a very fast car causes
    more damage on impact than a slow one, so it is obviously a terrorist
    weapon.  So we better enact the death penalty on it.

    Felix